Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wanted - Preferably Alive


I am a lover of cats and seeing that we live in the country we are always what some may say cat poor.  Yet I do not have the strength to turn away any animal in need. By the way I think the locals know this.  I have had more cats spayed and nuetered only to have them end up missing, more than likely to new homes or the nearest coyote.  Currently we are at the mere number of 3 which for us is quite low.

Recently one of my 2 toms has taken a fancy to chasing birds.  There are a number of bird feeders throughout the yard as I truly love to watch them throughout the year.  I know I know that the combination of cats and birds do not mix and I should not expect them to adhere from their primal instincts, but I wish he would stop doing it ....

I have taken it upon myself to try and save each bird he attempts to devour.  I have managed to allow a few to fly to freedom.  Others have not been as lucky.  A couple weeks, I managed to get a small sparrow from him.  At first I thought he was only shaken and in time would be able to fly away.  I held him in my hands cupped, slowly blowing warm air onto him.  I watched him as he gasped for air, taking that last gulp before he passed.  It was quite a moving moment for me.  Which only made my cause stronger

I wrapped him in red tissue paper and buried him under my small oak.  A cross made of willow twigs and wrapped together with red string marked his grave. 

Again a small red wren lost his life to "Sunny" yesterday.  Seeing that this will more than likely be something that I have to do occasionally, I decided to  create a small animal cemetary beneath my elm .  Vincent has even agreed to make small boxes when needed and with some sandstone we had availale, we were able to create a headstone. 

It will not stop the carnage I know, yet it will at least ease my mind.  Oh the crazy things we people do at times.... enjoy your Satruday.

4 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

awwww...what a sweet story! i just signed on to follow you!

Mother Moon said...

Jaz, glad you enjoyed the story and welcome to my blog... Good to have you with us.

Laurie said...

That is wonderful of you to bury the little bird. We had a cat years ago that loved to bring us "presents" of birds,moles,mice whatever she thought would make nice presents.
I love your blog!

Mother Moon said...

thank you laurie, and I likewise love yours... though you do need to make yourself a button...so I can pass you on to others