Monday, April 12, 2010

Celtic Tree Month - The Emotional Willow

he month of willow begins this week on April 15th and continues until May 12th. The Willow tree is deep with emotions and is known for its intense powers of divination. Its branches have great resilience and are capable of bending without breakage far more than most trees. The willow spreads its branches in a graceful manner, draping them towards the ground. As the winds blow, they sway to and fro in an almost melodic sense. It is said to sit beneath the branches of a willow tree helps to calm one’s energy. I can believe this as willows encircle the pond which sits near my back porch. Nothing is more soothing then to sit with a soft breeze and watch them as they slowly sway. They sing with a voice that only the willow has.


Willow has often been used as a symbol for forsaken love. If you see one wearing a sprig of willow, it is a sign they are nursing a heartache. The willow has also been associated with sadness and darkness. Willows were planted near Roman burial sites and also used as a motif for gravestones in Victorian England and America. Because of its lightness, Willow is often used in the making of artificial limbs. 

Befriending a willow and tending to its needs is said to give one a friend for life. They in turn will give to you. Willow is one of the nine sacred woods for a sabbat fire, in which it represents death. Willow is also used to secure the birch twigs to the ash handle of a traditional witch’s broom. Another name for the willow is Tree of Enchancement.

6 comments:

greekwitch said...

Thank you so much. It is by far my favourite tree. When i was a kid(only child) i used to sit underneath a willow we had, hug her(she was a girl) and tell her all the things bothering me and cry. I considered her a friend.
This post was truly informative and beautiful.
Brightest blessings/

brandi said...

~i too adore the willow tree...i found a curly one at a farmers market a few years back...had it in a pot up until last fall...finally transplanted behind my arbor and am amazed at how fast it has grown...i can hardly wait to sit under it and just be...thanks for this post...well wishes and brightest blessings~

Living a Balanced life in texas said...

This would be my tree; my birthday is May 9th..Maybe this is why I was so drawn to your willow runes you made last year and gave away..

AkasaWolfSong said...

Oh Mother Moon...I cannot tell you what reading this brought to me. These past two weeks have been such a paradigm shift within me and all the while it has been going on I kept hearing the whispering in my ear...Willow! Willow! And then I come here today and what have you written about?
The Universe always leads the dance if we let it...
Thank You so much for this post!

Blessings of Peace and Love!

luna petunia said...

I loved your article about the willow. I too have happy memories of willows. I don't have water in my yard & I know they like it but I think I will try anyway.

Unknown said...

I have always felt very close to the willow tree. I have wanted to plant one in my yard all of my existence and never had. I was born on April 14th at 11:08 p.m. so I almost made it to be my tree.