Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Long Weekend -

The weekend is here and most people are off involved in family gatherings and such. It is the weekend of the fourth of July. It is a time when we as Americans celebrate our countries birthday. I myself have always loved the fact that it is the time of the year when there are plenty of fireworks. For the past week I have enjoyed my evenings on the back porch watching the shows nightly.

I remember summers growing up. My mother was not too keen on fireworks. In a situation where boys will be boys, my brother accidently lit some firecrackers near my sister and she was burned. It was nothing serious mind you, yet mom being mom felt that we should not have anything to do with such things from that point on. Needless to say I made my way to friends homes frequently at this time of year so that I would still have the fun that this time of summer brought.

Today is not different. Fortunately Vincent feels much the same as me and each year on the 5th of July we visit the local firework stands for their 50% off sale the day after and stock up on what we feel we may need throughout the year. You will always find a stash of fireworks in our garage for any special occasion we may have. Living in the country has a lot of perks and shooting fireworks off at any time is one of them.

The rain which we have received the last couple days will help tremendously with keeping the threat of fires down. Although I have a feeling it may put a damper on a few of the shows which are scheduled for this evening. Winston has gotten his first taste of fireworks this year. Not sure what to think of them really. The booms that are heard each evening as the homes encircling ours ignite their treasures keeps him on his toes. Although he will have to learn, to be part of this family he will have to acquire a love for the activity.

It will be a quiet 4th of July here this year. No summer parties at our home, no fireworks in the back yard. Winston and I will spend it together and hope that Vincent will make it home. We had thought that we would be able to go to Vegas and meet up with my middle son and his fiancée and her family yet Vincent’s job was longer than expected and those plans were squelched. Although I will say it is odd spending holidays like the 4th in different places. I spent a 4th in San Francisco one year and the fact that I had to wear a heavy jacket down by the bay while I watched fireworks was just wrong.

The grandchildren will be here next weekend and of course we will shoot a few off then. Kylie fell right into the tradition at a young age and was helping Vincent light the big ones when she was just a little over 3. We have learned of the precautions that need to be taken when such activities are executed. Safety is something that we do not take lightly and we would never allow anything which is not safe to be done.

I wish all of you a safe and happy 4th of July weekend. Here is hoping that it is filled with fun friends and family. And above all in whatever you do, be safe. blessings

8 comments:

AkasaWolfSong said...

A Very Happy Independence Day to you Raelin!!! I love the flashy show of the 4th of July too. I just don't partake in the activity too much anymore. I am spending it at home in the cool house as it is to be 90 here today. Too hot for me, but by evening it will have cooled off enough for me to grab my lawn chair and watch the fireworks display my town sets off in my own back yard. Can't get any better than that and I don't have to battle the crowds. My children and grandchildren do their own thing each year so that is what we are used to. When they were younger of course we had picnics, etc, but now my Son buys a huge amount along with several friends and they put on their own show. My Daughter and Grandchildren then participate in those and it is always a good time and they come back with funny stories...and like you and yours, safety is big on our list too!
Here's wishing you a spectacular weekend and I'm sending you a big cyber hug! :)
Many Blessings!

brandi said...

~wishing you a wonderful peaceful fourth and i do hope vincent makes it home to be with you...we used to camp this holiday weekend but now with our children it is just to wild and crazy up there and not worth the risk of an accident...so quiet we spend it as well...happy fourth little lady...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Mother Moon said...

Just got a call from Vincent and he's headed home... It will be a good weekend indeed...

mxtodis123 said...

May your day be filled with joy. Hope you have a happy fourth. You know, your tale of the fireworks reminded me of something that happened when my kids were small. My ex always bought the kids a bag of fireworks. I was scared of them. So one 4th, a neighbor's kid shot off a bottle rocket, but it didn't go up in the air...it shot straight down into our bag of fireworks...which were under me and my friend's chair. Well, picture the entire neighborhood racing down the street as firecrackers and bottle rocks whiz by our heads. Fortunately, no one got hurt...and later, we all had a good laugh.
Mary

Teresa said...

I love the fireworks, but I'm afraid we'll be a bit wet this weekend. I hope you have a wonderful, blessed weekend.

Kathy said...

Love these fireworks photos!

Rue said...

Hope you and Vincent (and Winston) had a good weekend and were able to get some fireworks in! Glad to hear he made it home.

You must be so excited for your grandkids to come!

Dede said...

I am so glad that Vincent was able to spend the weekend with you! I love the second picture, just gorgeous. Oh and the grandbabies will be here this weekend! Better get rested up for that. Wouldn't it be great if we could bottle that never ending energy they always seem to have? Oh the things we could get done. Hope that your weekend was a terrific one!

(((HUGS)))