Friday, September 24, 2010

The Evolution of The State Fair

This last week Vincent and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and jumped on the Harley and went out for a ride. The State Fair was going on so we figured that we would step by for some of that great fair food. You know what I am talking about: Roasted ears of Corn on the Cob, Giant Cinnamon Rolls, Cotton Candy, Funnel Cakes and the list go on. They even had something called deep fried beer. They are small little pockets of bread which have been deep fried with a small portion of the brew inside. Personally I do not see the attraction yet it seems that at least here in Oklahoma each year there are those who are just waiting to see what the next deep fried treat will be.

I myself enjoy the exhibits which themselves seem to be dwindling somewhat. We finally did find the building where all the 4-H and other home extension activities were taking place. Yet most of the exhibits seemed to be sales of items that in my youth would never have been found at the fair. Oh well I guess that is just a sign of the times. Already our state fair has shrunk down to a mere 7 day event. I remember when it ran full swing for 2 weeks. Yet attendance has fallen and it is no longer the “fun” thing to do, even here in rural Oklahoma.

Guess it is proof that I am beginning to age. When I speak of my youth I have to realize that it took place over 30 years ago. It hurts to type such a realization. A lot can change in a time span of that magnitude. Believe me…. A lot… But fortunately some things will never change no matter how much time goes by. And for that small miracle, I am thankful.

12 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

That food sounds scrumptious. We've got the Italian feast of St. Genero here....sausage and pepper sandwiches, pizza, zeppoles. I have to post about them. Man, are they good.

Merry ME said...

Fairs don't hold much allure for me because they just aren't what they used to be! Or maybe I'm not what I used to be. I have a memory of being at the Jacksonville Fair in the mid-60's. I don't know why my mother was with me, I was certainly way to cool to go to the fair with my mom, but she was there and went on some kind of fast ride with me. I wonder sometimes if I dreamed that!

But even after all these years the smells are still the same. Sausage, peppers and onions! Grease! Cotton Candy! The smell alone is probably worth the price of admission!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love that haunted house made out of what appears to be breakfast cereals!? Hey, when I was a kid (over 40 years ago, you young whippersnapper), I used to enter crafts and such in our town fair too. We even had penmanship competitions (won that once). But those days are gone with the wind now. No fair or exhibition holds those contests anymore. Too bad.

Scented Leaf said...

The haunted house made from gingerbread is a piece of art. Thanks for sharing!

Mother Moon said...

I have to say that the food somewhat disappointed me this year which was like the last string I had to hold to. The gingerbread haunted house was way cool just had to add it to my pics. And Merry Meet I can so identify with the smells of the fair... one of the last reasons I still go

AkasaWolfSong said...

Love the pics of the fair and you showed one of my faves...The Indian Tacos! Hope they were made with Fry Bread, lol!

The Haunted House Rocks...bet that wouldn't be too difficult to make if one has a steady hand and perseverence?

I'm envious you got to ride on the Harley and go Janie! I haven't been on one in about 8 years or so and I sure do miss it!

Funny how things come into our remembrance from our younger years and that is how we gage things now...nothing good like those tastes we once had that is for sure...just the other day Mary was talking about Bean & Bacon soup by Campbells not tasting the same anymore and I wholeheartedly agree. What I wouldn't give for a Big Old Elephant Ear about now, lol!

Well, anywho, happy you could get out and enjoy your ride!
Happy Autumn Sister/Friend! :)
xoxo

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

we've had at our fair :deep fried snickers, which I've tried (yuck) and deep fried butter, coke, oreos, and twinkies (which I will never try)
but I do dig food on a stick

Mother Moon said...

Phyllis, they did have Elephant ears there... forgot to mention them.... and just let me say that the bike ride was great.. has been perfect weather for it.

K - I tried the deep fried snickers a few years back.. just isn't right.. as for the deep fried butter... well no wonder we are the most obese country... makes sense if we eat such things...

Teresa said...

What a shame the fair is floundering. The Iowa State Fair is still a huge deal with about a million people attending. I haven't been for a while, but it is a huge event.

Jo Potter said...

I adore this movie too. The story is so light and sweet. We need more films made, like Practical Magic.
Thank you for this lovely post.

Autumn magic and blessings to you!
Jo.xx

Rue said...

I've never heard of Indian Tacos...

That gingerbread haunted house is wonderful! I love a fair. Too bad it's not the huge event it used to be, but I'm glad they still have them!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

We also enjoy attending fairs in early fall each year. I blogged about the New England one we attended this year - which highlights each of the six states. I missed the local one we usually attend - which is truly a wonderful event. And much closer. We'll not miss it next year (I'm happy to say they actually extended it an extra day this year). Theresa