Monday, March 14, 2011

Musical Mondays - Happy Pie Day


I have never been much of a cake person, unless of course you are talking about a traditional birthday cake with yummy butter cream frosting. Of course my favorite is a tres leche cake which I honestly believe I could eat until I was swelled up like a tick and would literally pop if someone touched me.


A wonderful friend of mine once had one made for my birthday and it completely blew me away. It was by far the biggest cake I had ever seen. When she presented it to me it actually brought tears to my eyes. First because I grew up in a home where birthdays and such were seldom celebrated and second when I took my first bite I actually thought I had went to cake heaven.

But cake is not what I wish to discuss today. Today it is all about Pie. I honesty will say that I am much more a pie person than a cake person. I cannot resist the wonderful taste of fresh homemade pastry crust out of the oven. When I was young I worked in a small restaurant that was known for its homemade pies. I often would help the cook prepare them on Saturdays and remember vividly how any leftover pie crust would be rolled out and carefully cut into smaller pieces and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar for treats. The only thing that made it better was the occasional leftover coconut cream filling that you could spread over the top and enjoy.

Speaking of coconut cream, this is by far my favorite kind of pie. Homemade of course. Warm cooked coconut pudding filled with lots of coconut. A meringue that is at least 3 inches high, then sprinkled with more coconut on top and browned just right. Makes my mouth water just to write about it. Of course there are so many other kinds of pie that are just as good.

I remember my grandma's fresh apple pie. She was always one of those women who believed in a nice thick pie, not a thin meager one. A trait she passed on to me as well. Plenty of fruit and/or filling was always present in any pie she prepared. Her apple pie was always served warm with a little milk poured over it. Once again yummy.

Yet it was her Lemon pie that moved me more than any. It was a treat that often she would make just for me. She knew how much as a child I loved it. Just the right tartness and plenty of meringue. There are still times when I feel her presence and the faint smell of Lemon pie is in the air. It always makes me smile.

I could go on talking about pie all day as there are not any flavors I can think of right off that do not make me smile and wish for a piece. Whether it be custard, peach, cherry, or rhubarb, it is all a wonderful thing. So happy Pie day.

Ok I will admit it is not actually pie day but pi day. Pi as some of you may know is the ratio of circumference to the diameter of a circle. Yet with my love of math (which lacks in all areas) I had to place some positive spin on things. Thus I figure if I placed it with pie which I love to eat and music which I love to listen to... it had to spruce it up somewhat.... So sit down with a nice cup of coffee or tea if you prefer and enjoy the musical interpretation of pi (or pie as I like to think of it). If a slice of pie is readily available enjoy it also.

Note to ponder: March 14th is also Albert Einstein's birthday.. How fitting don't you think. A man with a mind above all of us... So I lift my cup and fork to you as well Albert. Happy birthday... enjoy your day along the string of time that I am so sure you exist on.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that apple pie with ice cream on top...shot you an email regarding the spring swap. It may have landed in your spam box, though.

~ Jayne ~ said...

Savoury ones are good too : I'll be making a Shepard's pie later on this week.

Unknown said...

Not a pie girl unless it is peach or pineapple. You are a funny girl!

Magaly Guerrero said...

You are evil! I think I drooled a little on my keyboard ;-(

Faerie Sage said...

Yay! Happy Pie Day to you too!
Love your version of Pi day just grand! and Happy Birthday to Albert too, I'll have a slice of squash pie for you!
Blessings

Illustrated Ink said...

Mmmm...pie...apple pie is my fav, although I love lemon pie too! :)

Happy belated birthday to Einstein!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! I love Pie and Albert!

Mrs BC said...

What a delicious way to celebrate Pi day! I loved your post, very thoughtful ruminations on some yummy pies :)
I make a Pi Risotto - it's main ingredients are peas, pumpkin & prawns. P to the power of 3! It amuses the children, & I can pretend I'm teaching them something math related.
x

Theresa MacNaughton said...

I am more of a cake girl, and my hubby is the pie guy. Truly though, I will eat it all! I love sweets. :) Such eye candy here. I love how it all tied into the music. What could be better? :) Theresa